Writing in English

>> Wednesday, August 22, 2007

I was halfway through reading this article, "Sloppy writing breeds sloppy thinking," when I noticed this paragraph:

"That's a sentence, and it's written by an English professor whose job must be to teach people how to write. And it can't be inadvertent because it's the first sentence in his book. And it was at that point that I thought, "Well, there should be a contest that actually puts altogether the very worst examples".

I couldn't help but think that Professor Dennis Dutton seems to be a bit luckier in support from his university administration than other professors based on this post at Rate Your Students:

"My head hurt worse when I realized, as the meeting neared its end and my boss was stressing student retention as the most important goal for the semester, that nothing in the meeting had addressed teaching the students writing skills."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP