The Biblebelter and The Bitch

>> Monday, October 1, 2007

Riding a vanpool every day to work is a unique experience. I've gotten to meet people from my work that I would ordinarily not have met. I'm also the young punk kid on my van by twenty years. No joke. Everyone is old enough to be my parents!

On a Friday about week ago, when there were only two other riders on the van besides myself, one of them asked me about my take on some of the events of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. It's been a while since I've finished it, but I thought, what the hell, it's always nice to hear other perspective. I could NOT believe what he thought the events at Hogwarts was an allegory of--the last supper, crucifixion and transfiguration of Jesus. I'm not kidding. I said, "I think she just wrote that because it was the journey Harry had to go through." Nope. The room of requirement where Harry, Ron and Hermione got some food to eat=the Last Supper. Draco=Judas. (How someone who's never been a friend or follower of yours ever counts as Judas...I'm just asking. It was the weakest link in his theory.) Hearing him speak, I could only think of Tolkien's introduction to Lord of the Rings where he states that the book is not an allegory. Rowling has said that Harry Potter is also not allegory. A statement completely lost on him when I mentioned it. He wants to see Harry Potter's story in terms of Jesus life, which to me is stretching it far, far, far beyond any word I can summon at the moment.

This past Monday, on the way home from work, I got in an argument with one of the ladies on the van. I mentioned how cold it was (for September). She said I was always cold and would wear my jacket even if it was 90 degrees. 1) Not true. 2) This bitch is always warm. Seriously. She rarely, if ever, has a jacket even when most of the men on the vans wear jackets. She turns 50 this November and must be eternally warm post-menopause. Not to mention, she's only lived in the Puget Sound area/Tacoma her ENTIRE life. I've lived in two states, so far, and actually know what it is like to shovel snow everyday before going to school. I had a swim meet outside once when it was 115 degrees in Moab. She begins to melt at 75. Christ!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP