A Crude Awakening

>> Monday, October 1, 2007

A Crude Awakening: The Oil Crash

I've heard bits and pieces about peak oil for the past three to four years. I'm not sure where I first heard about it. I have read several mentions about it in The Ecologist. Watching this film wasn't a huge shock to me particularly as it also reminded me of the increasing water shortages that are beginning to happen around the globe.

This is, however, the best exposition I've heard on the subject. I have been aware that oil is used for chemicals in agriculture and cosmetics. The flip side of using those petrol products is that they do have side effects such as the dead zone in the Gulf of Mexico from the fertilizer runoff carried by the Mississippi River. If anything, cosmetic use of petroleum products should be done away with first since there are better options and oil could be used for more important things like energy production and transportation.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP