The Overachievers

>> Thursday, October 11, 2007

The Overachievers:The Secret Lives of Driven Kids by Alexandra Robbins

I vaguely remember hearing about this book last year. Lainey recently read it and posted her review of it. In fact, I think she has a pretty good review of it. I agree with almost everything she says about it--particularly her ending paragraph about Britney--except the "technical context." Me? I always love information, which is why almost everything I read is nonfiction, nonfiction and nonfiction. The only recent novels I've read have been for book club, when I have actually read them.

In this book, the kids weren't the scary ones; it was the parents. Robbins mentioning stories of parents raising toddlers and kids under 10 as if they were adults is scary. There have always been psycho parents but some of these take it to another level. Those parents she mentioned who signed their wombs up for classes, the only word I have to say is SUCKER!

As a concerned Bill Fitzsimmons, Harvard's dean of admissions and financial aid, told me during an interview at his office, "Today it seems as though everyone is engaged in marketing. It's not simply marketing one for a position at the very difficult preschool, high school, college and grad school, and for various employment opportunities. It comes down almost to marketing one's soul, which gets to undermining the meaning of one's entire life."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP