The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

>> Saturday, February 23, 2008

I would have liked for this film to have played at the Grand. I was very curious to see it this fall. Unfortunately it didn't. Finally got to see it on dvd although I had to rent it in order to see it before the Oscars.

The pace of this was slow. In fact I fell asleep momentarily, but NOT because I didn't like it. I didn't particularly like Away From Her but was awake the whole time.

I don't know much about Jesse James, but this seemed to be a pretty unabashed portrayal of him. I didn't realize he was "assassinated" or murdered by one of his own gang until I heard about this movie. Robert Ford seemed like a pretty deplorable person, particularly immediately after he shot Jesse. I was aghast that he performed in a play about it, playing himself shooting "Jesse" more than 800 times! That's pretty repugnant. I thought it was particularly telling that the "Narrator" mentions Robert's brother Charley considered him to be a coward in the way he shot Jesse.

I found the cinematography particularly interesting. I noticed in a few shots that the edges of the frame were blurry, appearing as if you were looking through some kind of glass or window. I know it was done on purpose but am curious as to why.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP