Gone Baby Gone

>> Sunday, February 24, 2008

Apparently it's Casey Affleck day at my place. Two of his films in less than 12 hours. Oscar cram time.

I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. I was not looking forward to a film with child abduction as one of the main themes. At the end of the first hour, I didn't think I was going to make it. I was slightly bored, unsure of where this story was going. At the beginning, it was like watching a story about degenerates. One of the characters referred to her sister-in-law (Amy Ryan) as a "cunt," and I can't argue with that. It's a fair assessment of the character.

But it got better. (Never give up on films until the end!)

I was amazed at Patrick's memory (Casey Affleck's character). He could remember all these details, conversation point that I had heard and didn't remember. Damn, he's good! The conspiracy he unraveled was slightly unsettling. You can always try to comfort yourself with the knowledge that it's a fictional story, but truth tends to be stranger than fiction so I would never discount a story like this as unfathomable.

The ending was slightly disturbing; mother leaving her young child alone so she can go out and have fun. I was expecting a slightly different scene with the mother based upon a quote on Amy Ryan's performance in last week's Entertainment Weekly roundup: "Her last scene is balanced between sad and haunting." I was expecting the character to be sad and haunting at the end, but it's the situation she's leaving her child in. It becomes that moral quandary: did Patrick make the right decision?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP