Only in Utah

>> Tuesday, September 16, 2008

And perhaps southern Idaho. The following quote is from an essay by Colin Hunsaker, a teenager, writing for my local paper, the Ogden Standard-Examiner.

"During my life, I've always known Utahns to be extremely Republican. This is understandable. The majority of our population is a member of, or has ties to, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The Republican Party's supposed beliefs and principles, at this point, are more in line with the LDS church's beliefs and principles. People have told me I cannot be a good Mormon without being a Republican. For as long as I can remember, people have made me feel like if I don't stand unwaveringly by the Republican Party, I will go to h-e-double-hockey sticks, and frankly, I'm angry about it."
And you should be mad. Expecting people to hem and toe a line because they belong to a particular church or religion is a cult mentality. Something Mormons excel at.

2 comments:

Arnica Montana 18 September, 2008 13:35  

it boggles my mind that the religious vote republican. this is the anti-compassion party. I have always thought that a true compassionate christian would have to be a democrat. Oh, wait. abortion abortion abortion. I forgot.

Lainey Blinds 18 September, 2008 21:58  

Mormons aren't Christians though.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP