V

>> Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Watched the original miniseries over the weekend. I'm not sure if I ever saw the original miniseries. I know I watched the tv series and the second miniseries.

Anyhow, even though the effects are rather dated, I particularly enjoyed watching the first half. Because it demonstrated how easily they allowed "The Visitors" to take over, complicit in their own eradication. (And watching Jane Badler as the badass Diana! My favorite character as a kid.)

Recently, the promo for ABC's remake/version of V appeared. After watching it, I'm not sure I'm necessarily excited by it. One of the human kids referred to the aliens as "vees" (Vs). Um, that's lame. I don't like the religion angle either. What made the original one so great is that The Visitors didn't demonstrate any great medical miracles before they took over. And yet, the humans let them. And then there's the scene where the alien Anna makes a statement that raises Scott Wolf's eyebrow. Gee, can you make it any more obvious that you aren't what you seem?
Or, as Time noted:

Remake of the classic alien-invasion miniseries plays in the trailer, weirdly, like an allegory of the Obama election: aliens come to Earth, promise "hope" and "change" (words actually used), inspire cult-like devotion, but have creepy intent and are secretly lizards. Maybe I'm reading too much into it. But it has potential to be Glenn Beck's new favorite show.
David Sirota noticed the same thing too. Can't be just a coincidence.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP