Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

>> Wednesday, July 15, 2009

It's different watching the Harry Potter movies now and knowing how it all ends. You can see all the details explained in Deathly Hallows that you may have missed when reading Half-Blood Prince, like Dumbledore's blackened hand. There, inescapably at the beginning.

I have to give a lot of credit to Michael Gambon. Richard Harris imbued a sense of warmth in the first two films that I thought he missed when I first saw him in Azkaban. But he has grown on me ever since then. Harris would never have been able to do the physicality of Dumbledore in his quests in HBP. When I caught Chamber of Secrets on tv last weekend, I noticed how immobile Harris was as Dumbledore.

As always, it's always worth seeing how much the kids have all grown up. We don't get to see much of Neville this time around, but we get to see more of the regular school life than I thought we saw in Order of the Phoenix. I only saw it once, so I can't remember for sure. Anyhow, the "kids" are always becoming better actors. I particularly liked the moment Harry drank the luck potion--I truly believed he was on something!

By the time it finished, I wanted to start reading Deathly Hallows again. I reread "The Prince's Tale" chapter last weekend. My favorite one. And to think we'll have to wait a year and a half until the first part of Deathly Hallows. Ugh.

I'm not so much a purist that any of the tweaks made in the film bother me. I think most of the tweaks made were for simplicity because describing a scene in a book and showing one on screen are two different things.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP