Volver

>> Monday, July 20, 2009

"Come back"/"Return"

I actually started watching this on Friday night. Except that my netflix dvd couldn't finish the last 10 to 15 minutes. So, I was finally able to finish it tonight after I got my replacement.

*sigh*

There really is nothing like seeing a film from start to finish in one sitting. I could have re-watched the entire beginning, but I was just hankering to see the end. Because I figured out who the kid's father was after Raimunda said he was already dead.

This is the third Almodóvar film I've seen, after Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown and All About My Mother. Of the three I've seen, there is always something a little quirky going on without over emphasizing it, unlike some American independent films where it can be the sole focus sometimes. I was really taken with how dark some of the situations Raimunda found herself in, but the tone of the movie was never dark or noir-ish. I'm not sure how to characterize it. I wouldn't quite say optimistic, although some points are hopeful.

Penélope Cruz did look physically better in this film than she does normally. Okay, she has a fake bottom; although, I actually never noticed that. What I did notice was that her face looks better because she gained a bit of weight for the film. Her body is a bit fuller, not fat, and her face looks less gaunt and duck-ish.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP