In Treatment (season 1)

>> Monday, August 17, 2009

This series just confirmed that I made the right decision ten years ago to not become a counselor of some kind after graduating with a BS in psychology. What a minefield you have to navigate for even 30 minutes. But in terms of dramatic excellence, this series is...Wow! For the most part, it's just two actors going at it with great writing, which creates a theater aspect to it. There isn't much going on except actors acting.

It started out a little slow with Melissa George's Laura. I couldn't stand that character the entire series. I kept wondering, why is she here? Why is she in therapy? It makes more sense later through the series, but, ugh, I could never stand her. I thought Paul's wife, Kate, played by Michelle Forbes, nailed a description of her when in a session with Gina mid-way through the season. Melissa George, when she has dark hair, really reminds me of Eliza Dushku. I suppose it's the eyes, they kind of look alike, when MG has dark hair. I kept thinking how much better Dollhouse would be with her instead of Dushku in the lead role. Oh well...

I really liked Blair Underwood's Alex. Whoa, he has some serious acting chops. It's a shame we don't get to see him more often with great material. I know he's a good actor, but I've just never seen him in many things. I think the last time I saw him was in Sex & the City.

Looking forward to the next season, whenever it comes out on dvd.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP