A Serious Man

>> Wednesday, November 18, 2009

This movie must make more sense if you're Jewish. I don't know for sure, but I suspect it. I mean, the movie is coherent, but the subtext isn't always obvious. At least not to me.

Because there was a girl sitting next to me who kept cracking up at almost everything. Was she Jewish? I have no idea. But I know that I laughed when the majority of the audience laughed at something, and this chick on my left was laughing almost every 3 minutes.

When she kept laughing at scene after scene, where most people weren't laughing, just taking it in, it reminded me of being in London and seeing a play. My American friends and I were sitting through an entire 30-minute monologue wondering what the hell it was about. Meanwhile, the Brits were laughing their kits off every 30 seconds.

But back to Larry, the hero/victim of the movie. There were a few times where I wanted to wring his neck and say, "Hello, McFly! Where's your fucking spine?" Paying for your wife's lover's funeral? What are you, a doormat?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP