Saved!

>> Thursday, December 3, 2009

This is the second time I've netflixed this. First time I've finally watched it. I've had it for a little over three months. I actually considered sending it back without watching it, again. The last time I had it, I sent it back without watching it and put my account on hiatus. One of my friends suggested I watch it, three years ago. It's been in my queue ever since. Clearly, I've been jonesing to see this since...never.

But I watched it this afternoon. It was only an hour and a half, yet it felt a lot longer than that. I actually took a break watching it to go get something to eat for 10 minutes or so. Something that doesn't happen when I'm invested in watching something.

The-boy-who-would-be-gay scenes at the beginning reminded me of the minor fracas going on within the ELCA. Watching it, I kept on thinking that people who are like this in real life purposely keep themselves insulated from the rest of the world. You know, because they're under siege from everyone else's sin. They're never going to think of their own, like Mandy Moore's "Hilary Faye." And that, in reality, most of the people who probably--I'm guessing--see this film would be in automatic agreement because they're not the hardline Christianists the film satirizes and chronicles. Hence, it preaches to the choir. The mega-church-attending Christianists will never see themselves as the persecutors; they only see themselves as persecuted by secular elites.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP