Sky Captain and The World of Tomorrow

>> Friday, December 11, 2009

I remember when I saw the trailer for this five years ago. I thought it looked so great. I couldn't wait to see it. Then the reviews came out for it, which if I remember correctly, weren't all that great. Totally dampened my enthusiasm for seeing it in the theater. (I could look the actual score up on Rotten Tomatoes, but I don't care at the moment.) But I wondered at the time, how could a movie with such great visuals be so mediocre?

Well, that's kind of a dumb question, but it kept popping into my head while I was watching it. The scenery is fantastic. The characters, not so much with the exception of Angelina Jolie. She does enliven it for the few scenes she's in it. But the two leads, Gwyneth Paltrow and Jude Law, need to drink a bit more coffee or something when they come to set. Paltrow's character was almost interesting. If she would have wound the character up a bit more, instead of choosing mild restraint so often, then Polly would have been a joy to watch. And Jude Law's Sky Captain Joe? Well, he has the brains. Charisma to help the audience fuse with him on this grand adventure? Um, no. Sorely lacking in that department. The chemistry between Paltrow & Law's characters seemed to be all Paltrow, operating on 85% of her character's necessary gusto.

Perhaps this is just a difference between watching it on the big screen and small screen? I don't know. But I do know that it took far too long for them to get to Shangri-La. The story didn't really kick in for me until about then. If they could have trimmed some of the earlier scenes by just a second or two each, then perhaps the first half wouldn't have dragged so badly for me.

Interesting story once it reaches the end though. Just takes too damn long to get there. I love the design and 1930s look, but I can get that in comic and coffee table books.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP