Dollhouse: Season 2

>> Monday, February 1, 2010

A couple episodes into season 2, I couldn't help but wonder why we hadn't seen more of the ensemble story lines in season 1. Season 1 picked up after five or six episodes, I can't remember which, but if some of the corporate control/corruption had been interspersed within that season instead of waiting for the next season, I think this series would have lasted much longer. Possibly a full slate of episodes (22) for season 2 and even a season 3. The Charlie's Angel-type stories of season 1 pale next to the complex, ensemble nature of season 2. Perhaps if some of the stories from season 2 popped into season 1, then we could have been spared the typical Joss-apocalypse theme. I know most people enjoy that theme, but I consider it to be trite at this point. I've seen so much apocalypse written or executive produced by Joss Whedon that I can't stand it anymore.

Which is why I enjoyed the exploration of identity and human exploitation by corporations so much more. Being used by a corporation, that's something I can relate to. Identity issues? A wealth of stories existed with these characters and excellent actors. From the fourth episode of the season to the second to last, the writing was tip-top. The last episode wasn't bad, but having watched so many Whedon series, I begin to get a little tired of the Joss Whedon rules on love. Ballard talks to Echo about letting him in? Well, I could figure what was going to happen next. *yawn*

The best moments will always be finding out how Sierra/Priya came to the Dollhouse, Topher and Bennett's geek love, any of the jaw-dropping acting moments involving Enver Gjokaj imitating Topher or partying like a frat girl, and wondering when we were going to have a Boyd-centric episode.

I don't feel that the Boyd of season 1 matched the Boyd in the last few episodes of season 2. But I can understand how they needed to wrap everything up and not leave any lose strands.

Still, better than most tv series.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP