Food, Inc.

>> Thursday, February 4, 2010

I totally skipped seeing this last summer. I heard so much about it when it was being promoted but decided against seeing it in the theaters because I have read so much about modern, American food that the subject has just become boring. I read Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser five years ago. I've read countless articles by Michael Pollan and listened to plenty of his interviews. I read The End of Food by Paul Roberts last year. That was a book so comprehensive, it took the fun out of watching King Corn. Most of the territory covered in Food, Inc. is covered more in-depth in The End of Food. If I had to suggest one over the other, I'd suggest The End of Food. That book demonstrates the wide-scale nature of modern food problems. Food, Inc. skims the surface of it.
That is not to say that this is a bad film. Quite the contrary. It does present the complex nature of modern food in an easy to understand way from the opening credits hidden in food labels to notes constantly stating this or that corporation declined to speak with the film makers. For those few people who have managed to be unaware of modern, industrialized food problems, the film gives a great overview of why everything in the supermarket isn't necessarily good for you. For those who are very aware of what's going on, it's a bit boring. I think the only new things I learned was that (super evil) Monsanto is going after farmers saving their seeds and the machines that help them do it. Fuckers. I would swear that something like that is going to come back and bite us some day. Like King Corn, I always enjoy listening to what the farmers have to say. They can be so practical, like the farmer from Polyface Farms, particularly when he was discussing processing chickens outside, that you wonder why can't other people wake up and smell the coffee?

Director Robert Kenner interviewed by Anne Thompson of IndieWire:

Find more videos like this on AnneCam

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP