Gone Girl

>> Sunday, October 12, 2014

I didn't read the book, and for that I'm really glad since I can hardly ever make it through fiction books, but it allowed me to enjoy the movie SO much more easily than if I knew what this whack-a-doodle chick was thinking.

There was a moment--or perhaps a few moments--where I thought that Nick did do it, but then I thought no way since what would be the point of this movie, right? It had to be that she was still alive, somewhere. (I remember hearing faint traces about the plot back when the book was released, but I didn't pay much attention to it since I knew there would be a movie coming out.)

Anyway, I liked the movie; although, it definitely will never be one of my favorites. The best parts are how a certain strain of media is skewered for all the right reasons. I liked watching this movie more than I like thinking about it, and the reason for that is its titular character, Amy.

I'm not so enthralled by Amy as some others are. She's so "Amazing" in pulling off a scam and screwing her husband, but, let's be honest here, why is that supposed to be winning? She doesn't have the balls to walk away from her marriage. She doesn't have the cajones to live on her own. Just saying she's an anti-hero doesn't really cut it for me. Using Walter White, the Joker, Jax Teller, or the Corleones as examples of glorified anti-heroes isn't the same. Those are all men engaging, however ruthlessly, in outside activities. Amy is just ruthless in her marriage. Like, she just can't walk away and leave Nick in the dust. It's too hard. All of that reminded me of the exchange between Anna and Elsa in Frozen:
Anna: "I can't LIVE like this anymore."
Elsa: "Then leave."
Nope, not Amy. She has a marriage she just can't live without. I'm almost to the point of pity for those who admire Amy. I don't understand what they admire. The "cool girl" speech? Plenty of undergrads could have come up with that. I don't know that it's such a novel thought, unless you've been so wrapped up into having a relationship that you can't see where you've done that. (Or I'm lucky in that most--if not all--of my friends aren't like that.)
Nick Dunne: "You fucking cunt!"
Amy Dunne: "I'm the cunt you married. The only time you liked yourself was when you were trying to be someone this cunt might like. I'm not a quitter, I'm that cunt. I killed for you; who else can say that? You think you'd be happy with a nice Midwestern girl? No way, baby! I'm it."
Nick Dunne: "Fuck. You're delusional. I mean, you're insane, why would you even want this? Yes, I loved you and then all we did was resent each other, try to control each other. We caused each other pain."
Amy Dunne: "That's marriage."
And there were a bunch of understandable laughs in the theater after that exchange. I can totally understand, even though I'm not married (and have a hard time imagining that I'll ever be). But it made me wonder, what caused those other people to laugh? Were they already married for 50 years? Divorced? Widowed? I grew up not wanting to be married and could never really relate to those who said they couldn't wait to be married with children. Like, why? I could never really understand until I heard this sentence in Princess Mononoke: "You know, that boy wanted to share his life with you."

But then I still think that wanting to be married before who you know you want to be married to is like putting the cart before the horse.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP