And this is why I read nonfiction

>> Thursday, March 19, 2015

I'm working on a magazine story about a woman who was fired from her job as president of Bennington College. I have read a story about her in The New York Times that says she's been fired--along with her husband, the vice president of Bennington--because of her brave stand against tenure. I suspect her firing has nothing to do with her brave stand against tenure, although I don't have a clue what the real reason is. I go to Bennington and discover that she has in fact been fired because she's been having an affair with a professor at Bennington, that they taught a class in Hawthorne together, and that they both wore matching T-shirts in class with scarlet A's on them. What's more, I learn that the faculty hated her from the very beginning because she had a party for them and served lukewarm lasagna and unthawed Sara Lee banana cake. I can't get over this aspect of journalism. I can't believe how real life never lets you down. I can't understand why anyone would write fiction when what actually happens in so amazing.
~Nora Ephron, "The Story of My Life in 3,500 Words or Less," I Feel Bad About My Neck

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP