Avengers: Age of Ultron

>> Saturday, July 11, 2015

So, I finally went to see this today. It finally made it to the discount theater. I was specifically waiting for it to do that. I didn't even want to fork out regular matinee price for this. I went to see Mad Max: Fury Road a couple of months ago with one of my friends. I paid matinee price for that and didn't regret it. Of course, when it came between choosing to see either Avengers: Age of Ultron or Mad Max, we both chose Mad Max.

When I was on my way driving to the theater, I was thinking to myself that it's almost to the point where Marvel should/could do a "previously on..." segment before every film. It really is to that point. It's becoming so ubiquitous. I haven't seen Iron Man 3, still waiting for it to show up on Netflix. Haven't seen Thor: The Dark World either; although, I almost saw it at the discount theater, but got there kind of late so I just let it go. Still waiting to see it on Netflix. I did see Captain America: The Winter Soldier last year on opening weekend and quite enjoyed it. Same with Guardians of the Galaxy. But I have no desire to see Ant Man at this point.

I felt like I saw this with as much of an open mind as I could have. It's been a month or more since I've seen advertisements for it. And...it's okay. I feel like it's an achievement given how much is stuffed in there that it still has a coherent story. I haven't even seen every Marvel movie, and it just seems like it's sinking under its own morass. There's too many action scenes, and the big one at the end just goes on and on and on and on and on forever. I think I read somewhere that the movie is better when it's just concentrating on its character moments, and I agree with that. There's not enough of them.

And can I just say that RDJ is bringing out the asshole qualities in Tony Stark excellently? Even though it may not be intended, that's what I was thinking. I can still remember 15 years ago when they were considering Tom Cruise as Tony. That popped in my head while watching this. Tony is such an ass without Pepper around.

I did enjoy seeing Wanda and Vision on the screen. Vision looks not completely human, yet completely real. I'm actually looking forward to seeing more of him. Wanda was nice to see, except she's not in it as much as I would like. I didn't mind the Banner & Widow thing as much as I thought I would, but didn't we establish in the last Avengers movie that Bruce had a little bit more control because he's "always angry"? Feel like he regressed for some reason.

But driving on my way home, I was thinking two things: 1) glad I only paid $3 to see this, and 2) I enjoyed Man of Steel more than this. Don't get me wrong, Man of Steel has its problems, but I have no desire to see Age of Ultron again. In fact, I'd rather watch The Dark Knight Rises again, and I'm not big on that movie either. At least when I saw MoS, I thought about seeing it again, but didn't think my ears could bear it after they were ringing for an hour afterwards. Maybe I'll watch it tonight, particularly after having seen the new Batman v Superman trailer today.

This movie is very forgettable.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP