Nightcrawler

>> Sunday, October 30, 2016

My relationship to attempting to watch this movie goes back more than a year, back when I was still living in Utah. Checked it out of the library there at least once. Now I think I checked it out of the library here three times before I finally watched it. Yeah, I know it doesn't have that much to do with the movie, but since I didn't get the summer break I needed a few months ago, I'm trying to embrace sanity as much as I can right now by watching movies.

Jake Gyllenhaal plays Gollum. Okay, that's not his character's name. (It's Lou Bloom.) But for all his starving, bug-eyed, creepy sociopath-ness, it doesn't matter. He's Gollum. He'll do whatever it takes to get to where he wants.

This was a good movie. I really enjoyed it. I have no doubt that much of what was portrayed in the movie actually goes on (except for the sociopath's moves). But the one thing that kept popping into my mind while watching these gory "news" segments was this quote from Clueless: "Until mankind is peaceful enough not to have violence on the news, there's no point in taking it out of shows that need it for entertainment value." Gollum actually makes this point in the movie. That the actual amount of time spent on actual news--instead of car chases and violent, gory shit--is minimal.

My one quibble with the movie is the ending. I totally get why it ends the way it ends with the employee speech at the end. However, I do not believe for a second that had the same thing happened in real life, Gollum would have been able to walk away free. That detective would have gotten a warrant for all his video archives and been able to bust Gollum's ass for withholding information in a investigation. No way would he have been able to walk away free while a police officer or two died. That's just the one part I don't believe could have happened in real life. Police officers take care of their own; they would have tried to rip Gollum apart for instigating the death and injury of their fellow officers.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP